Thursday 17 March 2016

Week 4 Textual Analysis Questions


Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy

Do the choices made in the game result in branching narrative paths? If so, how? If not, how are the choices meaningful?

This week I played Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy the murder mystery aspect of the game intrigued and frightened me at the same time because I’m not great with horror.
As I played through Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy I found that there were options for branching narrative paths like right at the beginning after I left the bathroom (after I had killed an old man TT-TT) I could either go out the backdoor and be seen by the hobo or leave through the front door and be caught by the waitress, these different paths would slightly change how the next part of my story plays out. While these do not feel like major game changing choices they make Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy feel more meaningful to each of the induvial players because they can act out/play through the game the way they feel would be best. Another aspect of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy I like was that throughout the game there was four main characters that you got to play as, it was interesting to see how their paths through the story overlapped as well as that each characters personality means that the way they can interact with people and their surroundings is different and this also can create small branching narratives itself because some players would discover things that others would not, an example of this is that while I was searching the bathroom as Tyler who has a very laid-back kind of vibe to him . . . I may have made him use the urinal in the crime scene (which at the time was hilarious)
A quote that I feel works well with this is about type two choices:
"Type two choices are created by the desire to prevent the
state of the gameworld from becoming worse – to ensure the safety and continued
existence of the player character, and possibly to prevent the destruction of
the gameworld."
Storyplaying
Choice and Narrative in Video Games
Sebastian Domsch

The only choices in Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy I found that did not have many branching narrative quality’s was the quick time events that happened when you were talking to other characters, because in the end it didn’t really matter what you picked in most cases you would end up get all the information at the end of the conversation anyway, the only parts where I found this to be different was when the character you were playing as had an emotional investment in the character you were talking too, so of these choices could be meaningful to each player.
In the end I did really enjoy playing Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy while the choices that were presented to you throughout the game did not have huge story changing quality’s for the most part they felt meaningful to me because I could get invested in parts of my character and try and play out the story how I would if I was in their situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment